This site is about raising free kids, good books, and other random issues. Find out more about me here. And check out my new book:
- Outdoor preschools catch on in U.S.
- Online preschool: another bad education idea that is so American
- Do Parents Matter? Recommended reading for raising free kids
- Mommy Laid an Egg! recommended reading for raising free kids
- Want to change our overparenting culture? Read Free Range Kids and Join Let Grow
- My Tweets
Tag Archives: immigration
I write a lot about children’s rights. My book, Achtung Baby, is an attempt to convince American parents that kids have a right to play, to walk places on their own and to follow their own interests. Children’s right to … Continue reading
I love my country, but I have to admit I miss Germany. I lived there for six years. I’ve been back in California for six months, but all the sunshine and American friendliness didn’t quite make-up for Christmastime in Germany: drinking warm mulled wine outside, the smell of an open grill cooking real bratwurst—made from pork, not those bland, beef tubes we call hot dogs.
Lately, Germany has made it especially hard for me to enjoy being home. Mainly because Germany keeps showing up the U.S. The latest blow? U.S. News Word and Report ranked the country #1 in the world. The U.S. came in 4th.
That’s right, in a strange twist of history, Germany is now the nation to follow, not America. U.S. News even said most people thought Germany was better for entrepreneurship! What? That’s supposed to be our thing.